Lupins Immigration

Tier 2 (Intra-company Transfer) Visa

This category is for workers from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland, and who have an overseas employer offering a role in the UK branch of the organization.

The Tier 2 (Intra-company Transfer or Inter-company Transfer) visa  allows multinational companies and organisations to transfer their existing employees form outside the EEA to their UK branch or subsidiary for training or to fulfil a specific vacancy. Applying for this visa you will need to have a certificate of sponsorship, which means your employer must be a licensed sponsor.  The work you do in the UK must relate to work of the sponsor organization.

This is a Points Based category and you must score 60 points.  It can be broken down as follows:-

50 points for Attributes

Certificate of sponsorship – 30 points
Appropriate salary – 20 points
Maintenance (Funds) – 10 points

Some say we’re experts, we say we’re established Others say we’re helpful, we just say we’re LUPINS

Types of Intra-company Transfer visa:

There are now two types of  Intra-company Transfer visa*


Long Term staff:

This is for transfers of more than 12 months into a role that cannot be filled by a new UK recruit.

You will need to have worked for your company for more than 12 months, unless you will be paid a salary in excess of £73,900.


Graduate Trainee:

This visa is for transfers into a Graduate Trainee programme for a specialist role.  You need to be a recent graduate with at least 3 months experience with your employer overseas.

*Short Term staff category was closed from 5th  April 2017.



Length of stay in the UK:

There is a limit on the amount of time you can stay in the United Kingdom under the Tier 2 (Intra-company Transfer) visa.

  • Long term staff – if you earn more than £120,000 per year- 9 years
  • Long term staff – if you earn less than £120,000 per year – 5 years 1 month
  • Graduate trainee – 12 months

You can apply to extend your stay in the UK for the maximum time allowed for your visa type.

If you initially applied for your Tier 2 (Intra-company Transfer) visa on or after 6th April 2010, you cannot qualify for settlement.

Certificate of Sponsorship and appropriate salary

You will need a certificate of sponsorship from your employer.  It is not an actual certificate, but a reference number given to you by your sponsor/employer.  They will also need to give you other information including how much you will be paid.

The certificate of sponsorship will be valid for 3 months from the date it is assigned to you.

The certificate of sponsorship must confirm that you will be paid at least the minimum salary for your type of visa.

At Lupins, we will advise you on the specific salary level for your particular type of Intra-company Transfer.


Maintenance (Funds)

You will need to provide bank statements showing that you have at least £945 in savings continuously over the last 90 days.

You will not need savings if you have a fully approved (A rated) sponsor with a certificate of sponsorship confirming that your sponsor will give you £945 to cover your costs for a month if required.

Family members (dependents)

Family members (dependents) ie your husband/wife or children under the age of 18 can accompany you to the UK on this visa.

You will need to show that your dependents can be supported in the UK and must therefore show additional maintenance (funds) of £630 for each dependent and provide poof that you have held this money in either your or your dependents’ bank account for 90 days before you or they apply for their visa.

Switching or changing into this visa

If you are in the UK as a representative of an overseas business, you can switch into the Tier 2 Intra-company Transfer – Long term staff (visa).

To do this, you must already be in the UK on a Representative of an overseas business visa, and still be working for the same employer named on your previous application.

Contact our experts

For more information and advice contact our Tier 2 (Intra-company Transfer) visa experts. This is a complex area of immigration law and the requirements are constantly changing. The information on our website is there to help and give you an overview, but is no substitute for getting the best professional advice directly form our experts.

LUPINS Supporting you all the way

We will ensure that you have the correct documentation that proves you fulfil all the requirements of the immigration rules.

  • We will advise and assist you in completing the application forms
  • We will hold your hand throughout the application process
  • We will make detailed representations in support of the application setting out clearly why the application should succeed, highlighting the documentation we are submitting with reference to your specific circumstances and how this proves you meet all the requirements.

Put simply, our immigration solicitors will hold your hands throughout the process,
liaising with all relevant government bodies, including UK Visas and Immigration,
British Consulate, overseas agents and where necessary the courts.